Monday, July 7, 2008

Charlene’s journey to Cambodia


Dear friends,

I want to share with you about my summer trip to Cambodia and invite you to be a prayer supporter with me on this journey. This year, there are 6 of us going----Lisa Cheong, Hiroko Sawai, Brenda McClelland and myself from Rexdale Alliance Church, Janice Henderson from URCC and Genie Kim from Young Nak Presbyterian Church. The team will be going for 3 weeks from July 10 to August 2nd. Our team has begun training this spring and will be meeting multiple times before we leave in July.

I have had some unique opportunities this semester to talk about Cambodia with high school students. Just this month I was able to partner with the family studies department at Richmond Hill High School. I did a presentation for the grade 9 classes with the purpose to educate them on the issues that face Cambodian children and teens -just like them. Currently the students in these classes are knitting teddy bears. They have agreed to send them with me to be given out to children in the various projects we will come into contact with. This direct connection will hopefully give them an impetus to action. They were extremely receptive and asked very intelligent questions. My hope is that I left them with hope that they can make a difference in this world, and that they were made with a purpose and a future. I’m hoping that they will pursue their passions and be world changers! We are planning on continuing this relationship into the future and I will go back next year and report to the classes on what happened and how the projects went. I also shared my presentation with the Christian Club at RHHS and connected with those students.

I covet and need much prayer support from you. I will be leading our team worship, designing the games for the VBS and helping to lead /mentor the team with Lisa. We are keenly aware that we are going into some serious places of darkness (more so than before) as this trip is not just a vision trip but is really a Mission/Ministry trip where we are involved in outreaches as well as ministering to the frontline workers.
Could you commit to pray for us this spring and while we are in Cambodia?

Thanks for taking the time to read this letter and I look forward to hearing from you.

Many Blessings! Charlene

No comments: