Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Svay Pak - Day 2 (Lisa)

We have just completed Day 2 at Svay Pak and God continues to give us an amazing level of energy despite the heat.

Once again as our van turned into the main road heading towards Rahab House we were greeted with smiles from the kids who were running along side the van. The numbers increased as we got closer and some of the kids who had remembered our names from the day before starting calling out to us. As the morning progress more and more kids started to come. We have been trying to establish rules of behavior as the kids here don't find anything wrong with punching or hitting each other whether it be boy against boy or boy against girl. They are quite a rowdy bunch and yet it seems with each passing hour, our hearts are warmed by them. It has been a real blessing just seeing them all enjoying the program thus far and the excitment with which they come. There really is not much for the kids in this community to do as later in the afternoon we took a stroll around the alley ways in the Svay Pak area with our little tour guides leading us. This place is like a dump with garbage strewn all over the place. Old men playing cards and young men hanging out watching TV. As we walk by them, they often give us these glares but I am determined to not be intimidated by them. Should I make eye contact, I smile and say hello in Khmer. The women seem to be the ones who are doing all the work (sorry guys) and the children seem to have more joy and life in them than the adults.

When one sees people living in squalor as this I am reminded of how easy it is in this environment to feel useless or worthless and give into resignation. The external appearances of this neighborhood I think reflects much about the common place attitude that ensares a people held in captivity. The darkness is here and the spirit in this neighborhood is quite oppressive. One can only wonder if any good can come out of this place and yet my mind wonders back to over 2000 years ago when the same thought was made---can anything good come out of Nazareth?

I hope to upload some of my photos tomorrow as its late here and I'm pooped. Tonight we met up with Kim Bui who is a Canadian Vietnamese missionary with the C&MA. She mentioned to us about another village near Svay Pak in which 100% of the daugthers were sold into the sex trade. It still boggles my mind but for now, I find myself focusing on the children of Svay Pak. In all these situations, I continue to be reminded that it is one child at a time. What God can do with one child in Svay Pak who is totally yielded to Him. When I think of this, it is my hope that these kids who are coming to the VBS will have the seed planted deep within them. That this seed of God would fall on good soil and bear much fruit. I am already excited for next week as Kim is hoping to join us in our outreach.

2 comments:

Richard said...

Hi Lisa
I am one of the team from Fairview Presbyterian Church who renovated Rahab's House. I am overjoyed to see that God's kingdom is continuing to shine there. The kids in the village have a special place in my heart and as I read your blog I am picturing their faces. Tell them that 'TOM the whirly bird' man still thinks of them.
God bless you all and your work!

Lisa said...

Hi Richard, I wish we could download some of the photos we have to show you all the activities within Rahab. I will gladly mention your name.