Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Physical and Spiritual Food




In the past few days I have been thinking how often we come to God with our own agendas. We think we know what we need and we come asking Him to meet that need. Yet God knows far better what we really need versus what we want. With each new day we continue to see an increase in kids as well as their mothers coming for the morning program. Yesterday we provided 125 lunches and we believe many of them are coming perhaps for the physical food. In the eyes of the kids and their families in this community, this is the immediate need…to satisfy the physical hunger. This is their agenda. But God is using that medium to draw them in for something better---the spiritual food that only He can provide. His plans for us are so much bigger and larger than what we envision for ourselves. We are seeing the unfolding of the holistic aspects of the gospel to provide an environment where both the physical and spiritual components work hand in hand. Jesus said that He is the Bread of Life and it is our prayer that as much as the children and adults are coming for physical nourishment, that God is feeding their souls with His spiritual food that will satisfy the deepest longings within their own hearts. Indeed may each of these who come taste and see that the Lord is good.

4 comments:

Marty said...

Hi Lisa

I am sitting in Vancouver airport and as I look at the departures board I can see that the Eva Air flight to Taipei leaves at 2:20am. That was the flight that myself and the rest of our team took to go to Rahab's House in May.

Now I am reading your blog entries and looking at the pictures and imagining the sounds, the smells, the sights of the VBS.

It is truly truly amazing what you folks are involved in. I know 10 people for certain who would love to be there with you, especially since we recognise a number of the kids from the pics. In particular the blog entry about "pastor Lap" sent spiritual shivers up and down my spine.

I am so excited by the numbers of kids and adutls who are coming through those doors and entering God's House. When I was blogging one of my entries included a belief that God had evicted the devil and was moving in to take up residence. The work of your team and the many others involved in Rahab's House prove that God truly is in the house, and He is there to stay.

Bless you as you continue this wonderful work, and may I encourage you that as your time there comes to an end and you reflect as to whether you really have made a difference - be assured that no matter what you are thinking and feeling about your experiences there God is wanting to reach out and give you a hug and say "thank you" for your hard work, for your love expressed to the kids, and your devotion to doing His will in that very dark place.

Blessings on you all.

Martin

Kelvin said...

Hi Lisa,

Every morning before work I eagerly check your blog for the latest updates. I am so excited to read about the work that your team is doing and the amount of kids that your team is reaching out to. We met around 20 of the kids when our team was there and hearing that you now have 80 plus coming is evidence that God is on the move in Svay Pak.

Blessings to you and your team.

Kelvin

P.S.
I love looking at the pictures, it makes me want to go back.

Hamster said...

Well put, my friend. Yes, God knows exactly what we need before we even ask it! And I pray that your time there will bear much fruit for His kingdom in the precious lives of these kids and their families!

Lisa said...

Hi Marty, Kelvin and Hamster, thanks for your comments. Sorry to do this group comment. We appreciate all your words of encouragement and prayers. I wish you were all here. It has been an amazing time of building bridges.